Car-racing in the Eifel
mountains started early, and the idea of a permanent racingtrack soon grew. In 1922 Konrad
Adenauer (who after the war became Bundeskanzler/chancellor of West
Germany), at the time lord mayor of Köln (Cologne) became enthusiastic about
motor sport. When a plan to create a track in Cologne came to nothing, attention was
turned to the nearby Eifel region. Up
until 1926 already four Eifelrennen had been run on the roads around Nideggen
close to Schleiden. One day, a certain Hans Weidenbrück from Bonn (at the time a
hunting leasholder in the Nürburg area) came up with the idea that a perfect racing
circuit could be created around Nürburg. In Dr. Otto Creutz, Landrat in
the area, he found the perfect builder. Konrad Adenauer contributed money from the local
government, as did the city of Koblenz. The German government came up with the rest of the
money, and made the building of the Ring a relief program during the depression to provide
work for the countless unemployed in the poor Eifel region.
In 1925 the first 60 workers arrived, and for the next two
years more then 3000 men worked with shovel and axe. On the 18th of June 1927 their work
was complete - Nordschleife 22.81 km, Südschleife 7.45 km, Start- und Zielschleife 2.24
km. Together 28.265 km. Up to 13 bends per kilometer, 174 altogether. Rising and falling.
The longest plane straight one km, and with different pavement around the track.
(The picture above is borrowed from the official Nürburgring-site.)